Monday, July 11, 2011

3 weeks until Speedgoat

Here I am just under 3 weeks until the Speedgoat 50K. My training has been going well over the last month with at least 2 mountains runs a week along with 2 or 3 long runs on asphalt each week. On Saturday I ran for 5 hours and 35 minutes and covered what I would guess was about 19 miles. I did run to the top of Gobblers knob which I have done a couple of times over the last few weeks. This gets me quite a bit of training at elevation, which I will definitely need for the race, as well as running several steep grades. I do feel confident that I will be able to finish this race, although I will not be very fast, I will complete it.

My calf muscle has given me no problems at all over the last several weeks and the only problem I have is a little Plantar Fasciitis, nothing too serious though. The only other challenge is that my weight is still higher than what I would like it to be. I am still hovering just over the 200 pound mark and would like to be significantly under that. My biggest challenge is that I love to eat! My self discipline has just not been where it needs to be over the last 6 to 8 weeks. I am going to be more diligent about it over the next 3 weeks until the race to see if I can drop a few pounds while balancing not hurting my nutrition prior to the race. Time will tell how this exercise goes.

On a different topic I found out that I am going to be a Grandpa. My youngest daughter and her husband let my wife and I know on Father's Day that they are expecting. This is very exciting for all of us and we look forward to the new arrival due on January 20th.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see how you do at Speedgoat. I'm especially excited that I'll get to see you a couple times during the race as well. Should be a fun day!

    ReplyDelete